Friday, December 2, 2016

Book Review : The Messiah Conspiracy by Ian C.P. Irvine




Synopsis : 

A young student at Oxford University has an idea for his doctor’s thesis (Ph.D.), which fulfils not only the criteria for ‘originality’, but goes far beyond it. For if Jason Dyke is right, his idea will soon change the world and shift the delicate balance of power from one nation to another.

Jason’s idea is simple: In the genetics laboratory at Oxford University, he will clone Jesus Christ.

But when the CIA finds out about his plan, the President of America realises that if the UK succeeds, the balance of power will shift from the USA to Europe. And he decides that the only way to stop this happening is for America to create its very own clone of Jesus Christ.

Review : 

This is the third book that I read from Mr. Irvine. I love his story and writing style. It was original and refreshing. Unfortunately for this story, I have to give it rating 3 of 5 stars. I will treat it as one book because actually it is really one book.  

First of all, I like the idea of Doctorate student as main character. It was refreshing change from retired professor, retired detective, retired journalist, etc in most thriller novel. I like Jason. His character is quite simple. He has an idea and he want to make it happen regardless of the morality. And then you have Professor Wainright and his team, that also want to to make it happen. So the plan was set without any interference. And then you have several other characters that also want to make it happen for their own gains. Surprisingly no one objected to the idea of cloning Jesus Christ. Nothing wrong with that. It just makes the story quite straightforward. Some characters have better role and some are just there for the sake of being there. I cannot tell it without spoiling the story.

For the story itself, I like it. I don’t take it lightly the idea of cloning Jesus Christ. But this is just fiction, so I enjoy it while it last. My problem is I don’t know who is the main character, after certain event happen. I have a feeling that it’s gonna go down from there. Once again it pains me to say that it’s really go down until the end. I really want to like it so much because I know Mr Irvine is great author. But the ending makes it impossible for me to give this book higher rating. The good thing is it was quite short story if you just skip the science explanation. So, you don’t waste your time too much to finish the story if at the end you don’t feel satisfied like me. On the other hand, I can understand that some people will like it and want to know what will happen next with the clones. Hence I still recommend this story for people willing to take the chance to read it.

My rating : 3 of 5 


Regards, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment