Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Book Review : Serenity (Shelby Alexander#1) by Craig A. Hart


Synopsis : 

Shelby Alexander is an aging ex-boxer and retired fixer, whose activities often flirted with the wrong side of the law. Looking for a little peace and a slower pace of life, he moved to Serenity, the small Michigan town where he grew up. But trouble follows men like Shelby, and he finds himself embroiled in an underworld of drugs and violence that may prove to be his undoing. The first book in the new Shelby Alexander Thriller Series, Serenity is an action-packed read with a lovingly rendered cast, witty dialogue, and a main character who doesn't know when to quit.

Review : 

I am glad that I managed to finish this book quickly. I mean sometimes I need several days to finish one book. Thanks for Mr. Hart efficiency for writing short but lovely story. 

My first impression when I read the tittle is this is romance book. But no, it is not quite romance even though there’s romance element in there. This is crime thriller book. And from what I know, it could be series. I have been reading quite long book so when I read short book, it was refreshing. 

The main character is Alexander Shelby. He is nearly 60 years old. Quite unusual for crime thriller book to have an old man as main character. But this won’t be the first and the last one. But according to his background he is former boxer so he is still a fit man despite his age. I know it was very convenient. Someone can call it plot device too. For the story itself, it was quite interesting. I mean very simple for crime thriller. But don’t know why maybe that’s simplicity make it refreshing read. It was easy to be understood. So, that was a plus one. I also like the structure. Make it easy to pause and resume at later time. 

The story flow naturally. I mean there’s not many scene but when there is, it really have an impact. There’s no unnecessary scene. Some people won’t like it but I prefer this over unnecessary action. Despite everything, I still think it could have been better. Because of its short page, we don’t get alternate point of view from other characters. So, beside Alexander, we don’t really understand other people characters. Basically it was quite 2 dimensional. Anyway, I like it because it was a change from my usual reading and it was a good one too.  

My rating : 4 of 5


Regards, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment