Friday, March 2, 2018

Book Review : Time Frame by Douglas E Richards






It's been a very long time since last I read novel. Maybe around 6 months. For avid readers, it's really ancient. LOL. Anyway, I intend to read more often again since reading book is my passion. Now I would like to review another book from my favorite author Mr. Douglas E Richards. This book is Time Frame, the sequel of Split Second. You can read my review about Split Second in this blog. 

Synopsis : 


A daring attempt to go back a split second in time to destroy Kim Jong-un. A discovery so consequential it dwarfs even time travel. And a treacherous enemy bent on revenge. 

Lee Cargill is the head of Q5, a secret organization that can send objects a split second back into the past. And while this seems utterly useless, it turns out to be the most powerful capability the world has ever known. Those who control it can transform civilization—or destroy it entirely. 


When Cargill sends Aaron Blake, his most formidable operative, on an unauthorized mission to destroy Kim Jong-un, all hell breaks loose. As Blake battles for his life, his chances of thwarting the North Korean tyrant plummet. But they’re about to get far worse. Because China has learned of Q5 technology, and they’ll stop at nothing to hunt Blake down . . . 

And all the while, a powerful enemy has reemerged. An enemy who seeks time travel technology to achieve a twisted, psychopathic vision that will leave millions dead—starting with Lee Cargill and the entire Q5 team. 

Review : 

First I want to say that I really hope Split Second make sequel. And my dream comes true when I see Time Frame. In fact it was perfect except for one thing. Now I regret for wishing the sequel. I don't know what happen. But I feel that this book is not like his writing. I don't know what's wrong but it just feel empty. Really empty. I find that I finish this book just for the sake finishing it. I gained no pleasure no sadness about it. The characters are not like their old self in Split Second. In fact it was better if they are new characters. Then no one will compare them. I cannot tell more without spoiling it. It really a disappointment.

I don't even know where to begin with the story. The opening is really good. Wonder where it gone wrong. I think the biggest mistake from Mr Douglas is using real characters and blend it with fiction story, worse with science fiction. You feel the credibility was outstretched beyond limit. No more the battle of wits. No more gray area. Instead we have a lot of plot hole and plot device. How to defeat the enemy ? Suicide attack. How to escape from the enemy ? Suicide attack. And I don't even know what the point of using Chinese characters when they were not involved in the main conflict. You'd think they play some role but I suppose it is what it is. Of course, it could be for another sequel. But at this point I doubt people will remember nor care about them. 

Worse the romance looks cheap. I don't know how to say this but I feel sorry for Nathan. it feels like the girl say I love you but you are not macho enough so I also don't love you. It would be better if they broke up for good. Really leave the bad taste. I don't even want to talk about the bad guy. Talk about being cheap copies. Not living up to the expectation. 

I know that I rant a lot. but it was because I really really have high expectations for this sequel. The strong point from every Mr Richard book is the capability to immerse reader in grey area and combined it with emotional story and science fiction theory. But there's none in Time Frame. It pains me to give this book low rating. Still Mr Douglas remains one of my favorite author. Hope he can make better book next time. I know he can do it.  

Rating : 2.5 of 5 stars


Best Regard, 
Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment