Friday, July 28, 2017

Book Review : Quantum Space by Douglas Phillips




Synopsis :

A trillion neutrinos just passed through your body. You might want to buckle up...

High above the windswept plains of Kazakhstan, three astronauts on board a Russian Soyuz capsule begin their reentry. A strange shimmer in the atmosphere, a blinding flash of light, and the capsule vanishes in a blink as though it never existed.

On the ground, evidence points to a catastrophic failure, but a communications facility halfway around the world picks up a transmission that could be one of the astronauts. Tragedy averted, or merely delayed? A classified government project on the cutting edge of particle physics holds the clues, and with lives on the line, there is little time to waste.

Daniel Rice is a government science investigator. Marie Kendrick is a NASA operations analyst. Together, they must track down the cause of the most bizarre event in the history of human spaceflight. They draw on scientific strengths as they plunge into the strange world of quantum physics, with impacts not only to the missing astronauts, but to the entire human race.

Review :

It have been long time since I last read and review any book. Maybe I am just too tired or what. Don't feel like reading much, let alone review it. But now I am back with this book.

First I have to say that I don't really like the cover. Too simple for my liking but I like the tittle. The story itself is quite simple. It was about missing Russian Space capsule when trying to reentry earth after some time in the space. Everyone was waiting for the ship to arrive but it just missing and no radar can find it. It was as if they just vanished out of nowhere. Our main characters job are to investigate it. There are 2 main characters. The first are Dr. Daniel Rice, scientist and Marie Kendrick, NASA analyst. Why not law enforcement ?! Maybe you ask. You have to read the novel to know why. Hehe

Anyway, I really like the novel. I will concede that it doesn't really hook me because the story is very simple. I really mean it. Despite one or two mysteries and "bad things", nothing really happen. I kind of understand why. This is not crime thriller novel after all. The focus are into the investigation and the science fiction technology. Still it was quite unpredictable and twisted regarding the ending. Some will like it and some will not. Personally for me, I don't really like it. But I respect the decision. The characters itself are quite nice (except canon fodder bad guys). Not the best but okay, no super human, one man team. I see that this novel have side story aka novella. But right now I am not too incline to read it because of the ending. The ending made me realize that it was not my typical science fiction novel that I usually read. Different taste. Over all, I recommend this story for science fiction lovers that want to read about science fiction technology and not too invested with crime aspect of it.

Rating : 4 of 5 stars


Regards, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment